Happy 2018 Toronto City budget fans & followers!
It's time to sign up for the City of Toronto budget deputations/public presentations. This is your chance to have your say on the 2018 City budget!
- What should the priorities be for the City of Toronto in 2018?
- What programs and services should the City of Toronto fund?
- What programs and services need to be improved?
- What issues need the City's attention?
On January 8, 9 & 10, Budget Committee members will hear from members of the public. Don't forget to register!
2017 Scarborough Budget Town Hall - Residents preparing for budget deputations, discussing priorities for Scarborough & the city
Wait...what's a deputation? A deputation is a short speech or presentation. At the Budget Committee deputations/public presentations, anyone can speak - residents, community groups, nonprofit organizations, businesses, associations. The Budget Committee splits into two subcommittees. The subcommittees hold meetings at City Hall and the City's Civic Centres in order to hear from members of the public about the City budget. After the deputation process is completed, the Budget Committee will meet to make its recommendations for the City budget.
At the deputations/public presentations, speakers usually get 3 minutes to speak to the subcommittee. Sometimes, if there aren't too many speakers, the subcommittee will give people up to 5 minutes to speak.
It's important to register in advance to make sure your name is on the list. Sometimes you can register at the beginning of the meeting on site, but there's no guarantee that you will be allowed to do so. Better to register in advance. To register to speak at the Budget Committee deputations, contact the Budget Committee clerk at (416) 392-4666 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Let the clerk know your name, contact info & the date, time slot and location where you would like to speak. Here are the options:
Monday, January 8:
- Etobicoke Civic Centre, Council Chamber, 399 The West Mall - two sessions starting at 3 p.m. and at 6 p.m.
- Scarborough Civic Centre, Council Chamber, 150 Borough Drive - two sessions starting at 3 p.m. and at 6 p.m.
Tuesday, January 9:
- North York Civic Centre, Council Chamber, 5100 Yonge Street - two sessions starting at 3 p.m. and at 6 p.m.
- York Civic Centre, Council Chamber, 2700 Eglinton Avenue West - two sessions starting at 3 p.m. and at 6 p.m.
Wednesday, January 10:
- East York Civic Centre, Council Chamber, 850 Coxwell Avenue - two sessions starting at 3 p.m. and at 6 p.m.
- Toronto City Hall, Committee Room 1, 100 Queen Street West - two sessions starting at 9:30 a.m. and at 6 p.m.
Individuals may only make one presentation at any of the Budget Subcommittee meetings.
Can't make it to the budget deputations? Submit a written deputation to the Budget Committee by email at email@example.com, fax at 416-392-1879 or mail to Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen Street West, 10th Floor, West Tower, Toronto, ON M5H 2N2.
You can also send a letter or email to your local City Councillor. For information on how to contact your City Councillor, call 311 or visit www.toronto.ca/council.
Have questions or want some advice on giving a deputation? Contact Susan Kwong with the Commitment to Community campaign at firstname.lastname@example.org or (416) 351-0095 x 212.
Also check out the City of Toronto's quick primer on how to get involved in the City budget here
Stay tuned for more budget updates & analysis on the way for 2018.