Housing Supports

Health Worker Housing

Health Worker Housing is a volunteer initiative to keep healthcare workers' families safe by connecting workers with low-cost, short-term housing during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The initiative was inspired by a nurse's plea for low-cost accommodation where she could safely distance from her family. Within 24 hours, she received over 75 offers.

Visit healthworkerhousing.ca/toronto

Supports for Homeowners

The City's COVID-19 information hub has information on bill and tax relief, rent collection, changes to the eviction process, and health and safety measures.

Supports for Tenants

The City of Toronto offers a range of financial supports for tenants:

  • Money for emergency housing needs: Housing Stabilization Fund – Ontario Works or ODSP
  • interest-free loans for low-income households facing eviction
  • Grants for tenants challenging rent hikes, demolitions or condo conversions
  • Rent reduction for tenants in buildings with reduced property taxes
  • Energy-related emergency help for low-income residents
  • Money for home energy conservation supplies – Ontario Works
  • Other financial help to pay utility bills

The City's COVID-19 information hub also has information for tenants at risk of being evicted (including information on the Province's Rental Housing Enforcement Unit and links to legal resources), information to help you understand your rights and responsibilities as tenants, and the health and safety measures that apartment buildings should be taking to protect tenants.

If you are a tenant of Toronto Community Housing visit www.torontohousing.ca for specific measures related to COVID-19.

If you are a tenant of social or affordable housing, contact your housing provider for information on accommodations related to COVID-19.

On March 19, the Province was granted a court order to suspend the enforcement of all residential evictions. As well, the Landlord and Tenant Board is suspending eviction hearings except for telephone hearings on matters of criminal activity or impairing safety.

The Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation (CERA) is maintaining a comprehensive list of government and community supports and services for tenants.

For Questions About Landlords, Evictions, and Human Rights

The Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO) is providing free Tenant Duty Counsel support for renters with a scheduled telephone hearing with the Landlord and Tenant Board. Make an appointment at tdc.acto.ca.

The Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation's hotline and email services for tenants are operating as usual. If you face eviction or a human rights issue, contact them at 1 800 263 1139 | [email protected]

Due to the racialization of poverty, many people who identify as Black or African Canadian are experiencing significant economic hardship, particularly with housing. The Black Legal Action Centre (BLAC) has put together Housing Security for Black Tenants: COVID-19, a document containing legal, social, and financial information specifically for Black tenants (but useful to anyone).

The Province of Ontario's Rental Housing Enforcement Unit (RHEU), part of the Ministry of Housing, tries to make sure landlords and tenants follow the law. Sometimes landlords will change their behaviour when someone from the RHEU contacts them.

You can reach the RHEU at:

  • 416 calling area: 416 585 7214
  • Toll-free: 1 888 772 -9277
  • Fax: 416 585 6464
  • Toll-free fax: 1 866 321 4127

Other resources (information from The 519, updated March 31):

Advocacy Campaigns to Help Tenants

Want to advocate for change? The Federation of Metro Tenants' Associations (FMTA) has listed many active campaigns (e.g., petitions, open letters, fundraisers).

LGBTQ2S-Positive Housing Help

Information from The 519 (updated March 31):

For LGBTQ2S youth up to age 29:
Friends of Ruby (formerly Egale Youth Services)
friendsofruby.ca | 416 359 0237 | [email protected]
Phone / email support only: crisis supports, housing help

For people of all ages:
WoodGreen Community Services - Housing and Homelessness Services
650 Queen Street East | 416 6456000 Ext. 2500
Phone / in-person support: housing search, rent allowance applications, rent geared to income & alternative housing applications, eviction prevention, referrals, assistance with landlord relationships, advocacy and assistance with housing and landlord issues.

© Copyright 2017-2020 Social Planning Toronto. All rights reserved.