In less than 24 hours, 53 signatories including 10 City Councillors came together to send a message to all Members of the Provincial Parliament on the eve of a vote: reject Bill 39!
Dear Member of Provincial Parliament:
We are writing to urge you to not pass Bill 39, a bill put forward without consultation of, or input from, Toronto residents.
We dedicate our time and service to making life better for the people of Toronto. Across our city, we see growing crises in housing, health, poverty, safety, and climate. We need and deserve better — and the solutions are possible. But the path to better solutions is through more and better representation and democratic engagement, not less.
By allowing the Mayor of Toronto to pass by-laws with the support of only one-third of City Councillors, the “Better Municipal Governance Act” removes the basic and fundamental principle of democracy: majority rule.
No policy, no challenge, no solution even, warrants the end of majority rule. Minority rule will not solve the crises facing our city.
The people most impacted by crises — and by programs, services, and cuts — offer the greatest insight into how things can be improved, and must be heard from, either directly or through the representatives they elected to Council. By diminishing the voices of their local representatives, Bill 39 will make it even harder for people to be engaged and to shape the policies that impact their lives.
If we take away the ability of a majority of City Councillors to advocate on behalf of communities, we take away well-rounded and informed decision-making, remove crucial checks and balances, and cut the majority of voices out of decisions.
A successful democracy is about power in the hands of the people. Strengthening local voices and improving access and representation in our cities improves people's lives. Bill 39 is a step in the opposite direction. We urge you to not pass Bill 39.
- Jin Huh, Social Planning Toronto
- Miranda Saroli, Access Alliance Multicultural Health and Community Services
- Nasima Akter, Bangladeshi-Canadian Community Services
- Elene Lam, Butterfly
- Cathy Lacroix, Citizens' Climate Lobby Toronto
- Councillor Alejandra Bravo, Davenport, City of Toronto
- Councillor Lily Cheng, Willowdale, City of Toronto
- Councillor Mike Colle, Eglinton–Lawrence, City of Toronto
- Councillor Paula Fletcher, Toronto–Danforth, City of Toronto
- Councillor Ausma Malik, Spadina–Fort York, City of Toronto
- Councillor Josh Matlow, Toronto–St. Paul’s, City of Toronto
- Councillor Chris Moise, Toronto Centre, City of Toronto
- Councillor Amber Morley, Etobicoke–Lakeshore, City of Toronto
- Councillor Jamaal Myers, Scarborough North, City of Toronto
- Councillor Gord Perks, Parkdale–High Park, City of Toronto
Michael Barkley, Climate Action for Lifelong Learners
- Rivka Goetz, Climate Justice Toronto
- Lyn Adamson, ClimateFast
- Corina John, College-Montrose Children's Place
- Gabrielle Langlois, Davenport Perth Neighbourhood & Community Health Centre
- Melanie Howe, Ecologos Environmental Organization
- Iren Tajbakhsh, Elizabeth Fry Toronto
- Sunder Singh, Elspeth Heyworth Centre for Women
- John Ryerson, Faith in the City
- Chris Brillinger, Family Service Toronto
- Sunday Harrison, Green Thumbs Growing Kids
- Sarah Van Exan, Green Wave West
- Jeanne Françoise Mouè, La Maison
- Keddonen Dias, LAMP Community Health Centre
- Bonnie Hunter, North York Community House
- Iris Fabbro, North York Women’s Centre
- Andrea Hatala, ODSP Action Coalition
- Anne Gloger, Openly Connected
- Victor Willis, Parkdale Activity–Recreation Centre
- Michal Hay, Progress Toronto
- Right to Housing Toronto
- Robert Acheson, Science for Peace
- Martin Bush, Seniors for Climate Action Now!
- Bianca Wylie, Tech Reset Canada
- John Beebe, The Democratic Engagement Exchange, TMU
- Kumsa Baker, Toronto Community Benefits Network
- Jane Szilvassy, Toronto Council on Aging
- Cathy Nosaty, Toronto East End Climate Collective
- Sarah Buchanan, Toronto Environmental Alliance
- Jacinta McDonnell, Toronto Health Save
- Sree Nallamothu, Toronto Neighbourhood Centres
- Cara Eaton, Volunteer Toronto
- Maureen Fair, West Neighbourhood House
- Jane Wang, Woman Abuse Council of Toronto
- Mallory Hilkewich, WomanACT
- Chiara Padovani, York South-Weston Tenant Union
- Suzette Arruda-Santos, Yorktown Family Services
- Heather McGregor, YWCA Toronto