2019 Call for Nominations to the Social Planning Toronto Board of Directors to Fill One Vacancy
Social Planning Toronto (SPT) is a non-profit, charitable community organization that works to improve equity, social justice, and quality of life in Toronto through community capacity building, community education and advocacy, policy research and analysis, and social reporting.
SPT is governed by a 15-person volunteer Board of Directors who are committed to the purposes and mission of SPT and to the important role of independent community social planning in helping to shape the quality of life for all of Toronto’s residents. There is currently one vacancy on the Board of Directors and SPT is seeking nominations to fill that vacancy. The term runs until May 2020 with re-election at the 2020 AGM.
Although Board members do not represent a particular community, constituency, or organization in Board service, the composition of the SPT Board should reflect as much as possible the character and nature of our community. To that end, in recruiting candidates for nomination to the Board, the Nominations Committee will apply the following considerations:
- People who understand from their personal experience, work, and/or volunteer activity, issues important to vulnerable or marginalized community members (e.g., disability, sexual orientation, low income, age)
- People who live, work, or volunteer in all geographic areas of the city
- People from a variety of professional or sectoral perspectives, such as labour, business, public service, faith communities, academia, and social justice movements
- People who reflect the diverse communities and identities of Toronto
This is consistent with Social Planning Toronto’s commitment to principles of access and equity in its staff, board, committee, and volunteer recruitment.
Volunteer Board members, of course, bring many skills and talents to their Board responsibilities. Organizational strengths in areas such as finance, governance, communications, human resources, access and equity, strategic planning, and fundraising are welcome.
The Nominations Committee is particularly interested in candidates with financial and legal backgrounds.
Directors are elected by SPT’s membership at the Annual General Meeting for a three-year term. Directors shall be elected in rotation, with one third of the Board being elected every year.
Individuals who are nominated and agree to stand for membership election to the SPT Board will be making the following commitments over a three-year term:
- Monthly attendance at Board meetings (2–3 hours each)
- Contribute an additional 2–3 hours per month to a Social Planning Toronto Board committee or other Board-related volunteer work.
- Be a member in good standing at the time of election to the Board and remain so throughout that person’s term of office.
Interested individuals may submit their candidacy or nominate others to the Social Planning Toronto Board by completing a Nomination Form and submitting it by Friday, October 11, at 5:00 p.m. to Maria Serrano.
Nominations Committee Chair,
Social Planning Toronto
All nominees will receive an acknowledgement.
For further information, please contact:
Maria Serrano, Director of Operations
Social Planning Toronto
2 Carlton Street, Suite 1001
Toronto, Ontario M5B 1J3
Tel: 416 351 0095 ext. 223 or Fax: 416 351 0107