Applications for the Voter Engagement Grant are now closed. Successful applicants will be notified this week.
Social Planning Toronto is offering a small grant of $500 to Toronto residents/resident groups for voter engagement in their communities in 2022 municipal election.
Successful recipients will be notified by email on October 3.
All activities must be completed between October 3–24, and a brief report must be submitted between October 25–November 15, 2022. Guidelines on reporting will be provided.
Who can apply for this grant
To apply, you must:
- be 18 years old or over
- live in the city of Toronto
- be part of an unregistered neighbourhood/community group, particularly those serving under-represented neighbourhoods and communities
- be interested in promoting voter education, city issues, and civic engagement and in celebrating democracy and the right to vote (or a combination of these activities)
- have a great idea to engage voters in your community
Who cannot apply
- Registered organizations or entities
Examples of voter engagement activities
Community members are encouraged to plan and implement their own election activities, but here are some ideas:
- community dialogue on the election
- information session
- all candidates debate
- vote pledge drive
- registration drive
- vote party
- arts-based events to discuss democracy
- aspirational conversation on city building
- healing circles to discuss reconciliation in the city
What funds can be used for
- space rental
- meeting supplies (including printing, paper/cartridge/AV equipment)
- honoraria (up to 50% of the grant can be allocated for honoraria)
- accommodations such as interpretation and braille technology
- This fund cannot be used to support or oppose a candidate running for office.
- SPT reserves the right to reject or cancel any grants based on any concerns relating to discrimination, human rights complaints, or a misuse of grant funds.
Grant recipients are required to:
- provide documentation of your voter engagement event (e.g., pictures or video)
- write a brief report after your event (a template will be provided)
- share election information and resources at your event
For more information
Please contact Israt Ahmed with any questions.