Social Planning Toronto is an independent social planning organization committed to democratic, community based social policy and civic participation.
Social Planning Toronto is looking for a 6-month contract Community Planner to carry out community organizing in a variety of communities.
The general responsibilities of the position are to work with local community organizations, networks and coalitions to build local community capacity and civic participation and provide policy analysis on various topics related to the Social Planning Toronto priorities.
The program work will include working with a number of community-based coalitions and engaging in research projects. Working with community partners to facilitate community needs assessments/strategic planning and assist in advocating for resources for local communities. The successful candidate will also be expected to contribute to the policy analysis work of the Social Planning Toronto and supporting community involvement in the city’s budget process.
Key skills required:
- Community organizing that supports community participation and ownership
- Effective communication skills
- Conflict resolution and negotiating skills
- Facilitation skills
- Knowledge of and familiarity with networks and organizations linked to marginalized communities in Toronto
- Strong writing skills
- Research and analytical skills
- Able to integrate class, race and gender analysis into daily work
- Able to work as part of a team
- Post-secondary education at the Masters level or equivalent in social policy and/or community development
- 3-5 years of experience as a community worker/organizer
- Extensive work experience in community-based organizations
- Basic community research skills for participation in local projects
- Experience working under pressure and to deadline
- Experience working with different levels of government
- Experience working with diverse communities
- Experience working with executive directors and frontline workers
This position is a member of CUPE 1777.
Salary range $45,102.00 - $61,816.00 plus benefits
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and covering letter outlining how they meet the above criteria to:
Att: Maria Serrano
Community Planner Hiring Committee
Social Planning Toronto
1001-2 Carlton St
Toronto, ON M5B 1J3
The deadline for applications is Friday, December 1, 2017 at 5:00 P.M.
Social Planning Toronto is committed to employment equity, and encourages applicants from the full diversity of the community.