On June 26, Torontonians will go to the polls to vote in the 2023 mayoral by-election. Voters will determine who will lead Toronto for the next three years.
Together with WomanACT, Social Planning Toronto, City for All and more than 45 organizations across Toronto, we are urging all mayoral candidates to reflect on our #ShowUpTO campaign and fully commit to our policy asks across five key pillars: housing and shelter, transit and internet, decent work, community safety, and community wellness.
We need a mayor who is ready to show up to meet the needs of our diverse communities and address the affordability crisis, safety concerns and systemic inequities growing along racial, gender and neighbourhood lines in Toronto.
Our joint campaign will ensure advancing gender and racial equity is front and center this election and amplify the importance of investing in poverty reduction. Thank you for being a part of the #ShowUpTO campaign!
The 5 pillars of our campaign:
- Housing and shelter: Increase affordable, accessible, climate resilient, and safe housing options for women and gender diverse people.
- Transit and internet: Ensure the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is safe, accessible and affordable, particularly for women and gender diverse people, people with disabilities and low-income individuals, and that all residents can access the Internet.
- Decent work: Enhance wages and implement better working conditions for frontline and nonprofit workers, a largely feminized and racialized segment of the workforce.
- Community safety: Increase funding for trauma-informed and culturally-responsive approaches to community safety.
- Community wellness: Ensure access to free recreation programs and green space across the city for girls and youth, including food programs.
- The #ShowUpTO campaign is co-sponsoring SPT's upcoming election event on June 8, A Second Chance for a Better City: In Search of Toronto’s Next Mayor. You can register now for the event and share it with your community.
- Join us in launching the campaign on June 1st at 10 AM! The launch will be shared on our social media channels and we encourage you to like, share, repost and retweet!
- Pledge to #ShowUpTO and vote on June 26th! Please take a moment to sign our pledge at ShowUpTO.ca and encourage your colleagues and networks to do the same.
- Share campaign content on your social media any time from June 1 – June 25. Tag us, use the hashtag #ShowUpTO and link the pledge/our campaign website (ShowUpTO.ca)! See sample tweets, captions and graphics below.
Sample Tweets and Captions
- 📢We’re proud to support the @YWCAToronto, @WomanACT, City for All & @planningtoronto #ShowUpTO campaign urging all mayoral candidates to show up for gender & racial equity & address the rising poverty in #Toronto! 🗳️Pledge to #ShowUpTO & vote on June 26: ShowUpTO.ca
If you have endorsed the campaign, feel free to change the word “support” to endorse.
- 📢We are proud to endorse this joint mayoral by-election campaign drawing attention to advancing gender and racial equity and poverty reduction! #TOElxn
Pledge to #ShowUpTO and vote on June 26 ✍️ShowUpTO.ca
- 📢We’re joining @YWCAToronto, @WomanACT, City for All & @planningtoronto in urging all mayoral candidates to show up for gender & racial equity & address the rising poverty in #Toronto!
🗳️Pledge to #ShowUpTO & vote on June 26: ShowUpTO.ca
- Join us in urging all #TOElxn candidates to show up for a better #Toronto & commit to the #ShowUpTO campaign policy asks across five key pillars:
🌟 Housing & shelter
🌟 Transit & internet
🌟 Decent work
🌟 Community safety
🌟 Community wellness
- We are pledging to show up for a better Toronto this election – will you? Take the pledge to #ShowUpTO at www.ShowUpTO.ca
- Women and girls are disproportionately impacted by poverty, violence and systemic oppression – it’s time to show up for a better Toronto! ✊ Join the #ShowUpTO campaign today! ShowUpTO.ca
- This mayoral by-election is about showing up for a better Toronto! Join us in supporting the @YWCAToronto, @WomanACT, City for All & @planningtoronto #ShowUpTO campaign urging all candidates to show up for:
👉 Housing & shelter
👉 Transit & internet
👉 Decent work
👉 Community safety
👉 Community wellness
- 📢#Toronto needs a mayor who will show up to meet the needs of our diverse communities & address the affordability crisis, safety concerns & systemic inequities growing along racial, gender & neighbourhood lines. Learn more at ShowUpTO.ca
Additional Campaign Materials: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1O-NBmGZZmH_8Rvt6UQnNI7hkbOWY-q3x?usp=sharing
Our four-page policy document which takes a deeper dive into the issues can be found on our website.
Twitter: @YWCAToronto @WomanACT @planningtoronto
Instagram: @YWCAToronto @WomanACT @SocialPlanningToronto